Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ode to the Best Boss Brad

So I thought now that I have a new boss to write about that I should close the book on my old boss Brad and write about the top eight reasons why he was the best boss. So here they are not in any particular order.
  1. Socialable & Fun: He was always joking around with everyone in the office and his stories about his weekends, family, or friends were always fun to listen to.
  2. Teaches You: If we were getting bored with what we were doing at work. He would show us how to do more stuff to vary our work a little and keep us interested.
  3. Trusting: I think it was my 3rd week of working and I had the worst week with cars dying and having flat tires. My friend dropped me off and I finished work early. I was just going to stick around and surf the net until she picked me back up, but Brad offered to let me drive his car home and bring it back at the end of the day. He didn't even know my driving record. He let me know before that you could drive awhile after the empty gas light came on because his tank was getting low. Halfway home it came on. I put in $5 of gas...I wasn't getting stranded with his car knowing my week with cars was horrible. I figured it would be thanks for letting me take his car. The next day he asked if I got gas so he gave me $5 even though I told him he didn't have to.
  4. Gratiful/Appreciated employees: About once a month he would take us out to lunch and pay out of his own pocket. I thought that was cool. It let us know on a personal level that he cared and appreciated us.
  5. Got Things Done and Stands By his Decisions: He did his job and went the extra mile to explain accounting stuff to nonaccounting people. Also after he made decisions or he knew he was right, he didn't let people walk all over him and that is what EMR needs in their accounting dept. head.
  6. Flexible: He was very accommidating to my schedule when I was pregnant and needed to leave for appointments or if I was feeling sick.
  7. Went the Extra Mile: I've already said this but it deserves it's own category. He was always adding to his monthly reporting to EMR with extra graphs, charts or commentary of what was happening with their finances. If you needed something he would get it for you or help you get to an answer
  8. Kept Things Running: I didn't realize how much behind the scenes stuff he did until he left.

No comments: